Monday, May 2, 2011

With a heavy heart...

I woke up this morning listening to the rain pummeling down outside my window. I would have loved to have shut the alarm off, rolled back over and stayed in bed. Instead, I slunk my way out of bed and started my day. The power went off in the night so I spent the first 10 minutes of my morning fixing clocks, making my forgotten coffee and trying to shake the sludge out of my brain.

After a much needed shower I was starting to feel more alert, getting a positive mood on for the day and then it hit. The morning news announce that Osama bin Laden was killed. At first I felt a huge sense of relief but then was quickly horrified when the news showed the crowds celebrating and shouting U-S-A...U-S-A. No matter how much I feel that it was necessary for Osama to be taken out, I cannot bring myself to celebrate his death in that manner.

We have to remember that even though the head is dead, the body is living and now is going in multiple directions. We will have to be ever more vigilant from all sides as there is sure to be retaliation.

So, I pray for all of our soldiers and their families that we are able to remain strong and stay the course until there is freedom for all. I pray that we remember how we obtained our freedom and don't insult the efforts of our forefathers by disrespecting our military. Last, but not least, I pray that God will guide President Obama in his days to come. I didn't vote for him, but he is our Commander in Chief and has a tremendous responsibility for the safety of our nation.

1 comment:

  1. I also have mixed emotions. While I believe he deserved to die for his crimes, there is so much hatred on all sides that I fear a retaliation is eminent.

    I don't believe that killing someone, regardless of how heinous their acts are, is reason to celebrate in the streets and praise your country.

    ReplyDelete