Tuesday, May 24, 2011

What does NO mean to you?

It is the never ending battle.

Daughter: Mommy, can I jump off the back of the sofa?
Me: Nope, pretty sure that's not a good idea, you could get hurt.
Daughter: Why not?
Me: Didn't I just tell you why not? You could get hurt, the answer is no.
Daughter: Please? Pretty please? Oh please, oh please, oh please?
Me: No means no to me, what does it mean to you?

We go through this battle almost daily now. I don't remember questioning my parents like this when I was her age. Maybe I did and just don't remember. I have tried my best to be consistent in no meaning no. If I say maybe, that's one thing but if I say no, no amount of begging, whining nor pleading will change my mind. Why is this such a hard thing for a five year old to get?

I have also decided that begging, whining and pleading are the second most annoying activities that my daughter participates in. The first would be the questioning of whether or not I really meant no. One of us may not survive this life lesson...

1 comment:

  1. I always follow up with

    "Has the begging and pleading EVER changed my mind?"

    "No."

    "Yes, but it has gotten you grounded."

    That usually ends it quick.

    ReplyDelete