Tuesday, March 20, 2012

What does a Realtor really do?

I have come to realize that we pay a Realtor not to sell our home, but for who they know.  The reason I say this is that my Realtor has done nothing beyond list my home.  I have had one open house and that was at my request.  Since then, I have not had one single showing and it has been over two weeks.  She blames it on Spring break.  Heck, I want to go where these people have been for the last two weeks!  I have scheduled another open house for April 1st.  Not sure who is the bigger fool here...

Now we have heard that dear Nonna may be losing her job that she has worked at for 22+ years.  They are reorganizing her department - aka downsizing - and everyone has to reapply for their jobs.  With retirement being just over a year away and her current health history, who would hire her a second time for the job she is already doing?  I think that is such a crock requiring people to reapply for a job they are already doing.  You already know who you want to get rid of, so stop wasting my time.  The good news is if they don't rehire her, she should get a severance package and hopefully qualify to at least apply for COBRA until Medicaid kicks in next year. 

I have started her on the path of filing for disability as her COPD is so bad now that the doctor has instructed her she needs to be on oxygen pretty much full time.  She doesn't want to do it because she is afraid it will make her look bad.  Hello Lady...yes you, the one laying on the floor dying from lack of oxygen, do you think you look good now?  Sorry - Bitter, party of one...

As you can tell I am still frustrated with her denial of how poor her health really is.  It is bad enough that I am in the process of selling my house to accommodate her needs.  I have heard your comments about not doing this, but I am not sure what my other choices are.  We don't have any assisted living facilities in the area that we can afford, so sending her elsewhere isn't an option either.  I honestly think assisted living would be a million times better for everyone, but how could we pay for it?  They want over $1200 per month just for an efficiency at a run down dump that is up the street from my office.  The really nice ones are well over $2000 per month and there is just no way to afford that.

At the end of the day, she is still my mother and my family and you don't turn your back on your family.  Hubby grew up in this type of environment so he knows better what to expect than I do.  I figure she will be another bonus kid and as such will have to be parented by both of us!! 

Other than that, life is moving along slowly but surely.  We are ready for school to be out for the summer so the traffic won't be quite so bad and maybe they will even finish the major road between my house and work?!  That will increase our property values I would think!!

5 comments:

  1. They have those kinds of places that depend on the elderly monthly income. My grandmother lives in a really nice place they come if she calls them but she is free to go whenever she likes.When she retires next year her rent goes down. Of course she is very independent too.
    I'm so sorry you are frustrated. This is a really hard time for you lady! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife has issues with her lungs. It's no picnic, that's for sure.

    Here's hoping your house sells soon.
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog and thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  3. I've missed you my friend! Thanks for coming to see me! It's always good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete